A radical take on our assumptions of money’s purpose. Innovator David Korten, Advocate & Author of When Corporations Rule the World.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT & CONVERSATIONS
- The Prevailing Story: In your experience, how would you summarize the defining prevailing story of our current public culture? What are the implications? Where does this story come from? Who controls it? Whose interest does it serve?
- Your Beliefs: How did you come to your belief system? What and who influenced you? What are your deepest personal beliefs about relationships, agency, and meaning in the universe, and, in particular, your “divine purpose”? How might you share your deepest beliefs with others in the form of a sacred story—your sacred story?
- Common Beliefs: To what extent do you think your family members, friends, community, and the broader society share your story? How would you describe what you think are the similarities and differences.
- Why Stories Matter: How does your story influence how you live, the work you do, and the way you think about important issues? How do similarities or differences between your story and the stories of others influence your relation ships with family, friends, the communities to which you belong, and society more generally?
- Living Earth Community: What is your earliest recollection of being in rela tionship with nature? Has your sense of this relationship changed over time? Do you experience Earth as a living being? As your living Earth Mother? When, in what ways, and with what implications? What would it look like to live from a “living Earth, living universe” story?
- A Sacred Life and Living Earth Community Story: To what extent and in what ways does the Sacred Life and Living Earth Community Story ring true to you—or not? What might be the implications if this were to become the shared story of global society?
- Visit David Korten’s Living Economies to learn how you can get involved and take practical steps to make the New Story a reality in your life, your community and in society.
- Invite friends, colleagues, or community members to view one of David’s video interviews with you and host a conversation.
David Korten worked for more than 35 years in preeminent business, academic and international development institutions before he turned away from the establishment to work exclusively with public interest citizen-action groups. His newest book, Change the Story: Change the Future is due out in 2015. He is cofounder and board chair of YES! Magazine, co-chair of the New Economy Working Group, founder and president of the Living Economies Forum, a member of the Club of Rome and former board member of the Business Alliance for Local Living Economies and associate of the International Forum on Globalization. He has authored many books including When Corporations Rule the World (1995), Second Edition (2001); The Post-Corporate World: Life After Capitalism (1999), The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community (2006), Agenda for a New Economy (2009), Agenda for a New Economy: From Phantom Wealth to Real Wealth (2010).